Here are my top 10 reasons to sell your home during the holidays - and no, I haven't had too much eggnog! Yes, I understand that the holidays can be a busy and stressful time for many people. The thought of putting your house on the market during this time period can be daunting. However, there are a lot of very good reasons for listing your home for sale during the holidays.
Top 10 Reasons to Sell Your Home During the Holidays
- Most people, homebuyers included, are HAPPY during the holidays! Happy homebuyers who need to move are attracted to homes that are warmly decorated and inviting. From a basket of beautiful mums on the front porch to the smell of cookies baking in the oven, buyers can get emotionally attached to your home if it invokes a sense of family and holiday spirit. (But don't overdo it! Too much decorating can be a big turnoff!)
- Less Homes on the Market = Less COMPETITION! Let's face it...most home sellers like to wait until the "hot" selling season to put their home on the market. In Charlotte, the big selling season is in early spring. But why not get a jump on the competition? When housing inventory is low, buyers will appreciate a home that is competitively priced and in tip-top showing condition. Your home may generate a lot of interest and even multiple offers, which typically means a higher sales price and better terms.
- Holiday homebuyers are SERIOUS buyers! In my years of real estate experience, I have found that some of my most serious homebuyers have looked for homes during the holidays. Some buyers are anticipating year-end bonuses that will pad their downpayment. Other buyers may be relocating to Charlotte at the start of the New Year to start a new job. Whatever the reason, these buyers are motivated - they're not out looking at homes for the fun of it in colder weather while holiday to-do lists are looming large!
- Your home may look its best during the holidays! Imagine your home surrounded by the red, orange and yellow leaves of Autumn. Add a few pumpkins and some bright colored mums, and you've painted a vivid, nostalgic picture for many homebuyers! They may envision their own family carving a pumpkin or roasting a turkey with their loved ones gathered around. In December, the lights, wreaths, Christmas trees and wonderful smells will generate holiday spirit - and hopefully, a warm and fuzzy attachment to your home! Whatever your holiday traditions...they resonate with homebuyers!
- Buyers will see your neighborhood in a new light! Another one of my favorite reasons to sell your home during the holidays is that homebuyers will get to see your neighborhood all spruced up. Many Charlotte neighborhoods decorate and light up their entrances during the holidays. Lots of residents adorn their homes with lights, festive wreaths, candles and more - it's fun just to drive through a neighborhood and get a feel for it during the holidays. (Hopefully you don't have THAT neighbor who loves to overdo it!)
- Tax benefits! Although tax benefits are not the main reason a person buys a new home, they certainly don't hurt! Some homebuyers might be looking to buy before the end of the year for an added tax benefit. Check with your accountant to deduct such expenses as mortgage interest, points and property taxes.
- More time off to look at homes! Homebuyers may be able to take a little more time off during the holidays to look at homes for sale in Charlotte. Kids are out of school, and some families have more time to check out homes and neighborhoods - why not be one of the homes they want to see?
- Become a non-contingent buyer! If you sell your home during the holidays, you will be a non-contingent buyer when it comes time to buy your next home! Few things hurt a homebuyer's bargaining power more than being a contingent buyer - meaning you must sell your current home in order to buy your next home (which is true of most people!). Many sellers won't even consider a contingent contract from a buyer - there's just too much risk. So sell your home during the holidays, know how much money you have to invest in your next home, and buy your next home with a strong, non-contingent offer!
- You still hold the keys and the deed! For those sellers who are worried that if they sell their home during the holidays, they may end up having to move the day after Christmas, here's what I say to that....YOU hold the keys and the deed, and if you don't like the terms, you don't have to sell your home! However, if you got a full price offer (or more) you might want to think of it as a great holiday gift and make it happen. Very stressful for a few weeks, yes, but very beneficial in the long run!
- This Savvy Realtor® works during the holidays! I may take a few days off here and there, but for the most part, I am WORKING during the holidays, helping sellers list their homes for sale, and helping buyers find the home that is right for them. I've learned that lots of home buying and selling takes place during the holidays, so I make myself available to clients during this busy time.
Are These Good Reasons to Sell Your Home During the Holidays?
Only you can decide when is the right time to put your house on the market! But I hope I've given you some food for thought. To get a general idea of what your home might be worth in today's market, check out my eValuator site. The next step is to step up a listing consultation so that I can learn more about your goals and time frame for selling, see your home and its improvements/condition, and discuss my 21-point comprehensive marketing plan that will get your home sold! Call, email or text me at your convenience and we'll get started!
Visit my website at www.SouthCharlotteLifestyle for other seller tips!
In the meantime, give some serious thought to my top 10 reasons to sell your home during the holidays!