Here is an exceptional post from Tammie White on why sellers should remove wallpaper in their homes for sale in South Charlotte, NC. Tammie is a Realtor in Franklin TN with Benchmark Realty LLC, and she knows what she's talking about. South Charlotte home sellers: wallpaper removal is far less costly than a list price reduction or no sale. Read the wallpaper on the wall!
Why Sellers Should Remove Wallpaper
Today I received a call from a home seller in response to an expired letter. Her home had been on the market for over a year. It was easy to see from the photos why her home had not sold.
Several of the rooms were wallpapered. It looked like something my grandmother would have hung in the '80s.
I advised the seller that in this current market, it is important for her home to appeal to the largest number of buyers. The best way to do that would be to remove the wallpaper and paint the walls with a neutral color.
Her response, "That is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. You're telling me my home hasn't sold because of the wallpaper?"
Through further questioning, I was able to determine that in a years time, she only had one showing. And that was almost a year ago, when the home first came on the market.
This home is a million dollar listing. Homes at this price point look like something out of a designer magazine. This home is definitely not up to that standard.
Here are the reasons she gave for not removing the wallpaper:
1. She paid a LOT of money for that beautiful wallpaper!
2. It's too costly to remove it!
Here are the reasons why sellers SHOULD remove wallpaper:
- Neutral paint colors have a broader appeal to buyers. Wallpaper is an extremely personal choice. That personal choice may not be the same as a buyers. Not everyone is a fan of wallpaper. By removing wallpaper, sellers increase their chances of selling.
- The photos displayed in MLS (multiple listing service) have become your first showing. The National Association of REALTORS, reports that 90% of home buyers begin their search on the internet. Buyers determine the homes they want to see by the photos shown in the MLS. If the home doesn't show well in comparison to other homes at the same price, the buyer will simply choose not to see that home. If a home isn't being shown, it's not likely that it will sell.
- Removing wallpaper can be costly. That's right. Removing wallpaper usually requires the aid of chemicals or steam. It can be a painstaking process and, in some cases, damage may occur to the walls. If that happens, the walls may require additional repair. Buyers don't want to deal with the additional expense or hassle of removing wallpaper. Especially, in a market when so many homes are picture perfect.
My question to the seller was:
Do you want to limit your buyer pool to a buyer who loves your wallpaper? Her response, "Yes, I do." Obviously, that hasn't worked so far.
I wished her well and said, "If you're not willing to take the advice of a trained professional who looks at homes everyday, then I'm sorry I can't help you sell your home."
Sellers, do you want to limit your buyer pool to a buyer who loves your wallpaper? Of course not. In order to sell your home, it must appeal to the largest number of buyers. The only way to do that is remove obstacles that will keep them from buying your home.
Why do I say this? Because I want the same thing you want...to SELL your home.
P. S. If you would like to get other ideas on how to increase the chances of selling your home, contact me today at (615) 495-0752.************************************************************************************Tammie White, Realtor® in Franklin TNCell Phone: (615)495-0752
This posting and the contents written here are the intellectual property and opinions of Tammie White of Benchmark Realty LLC. Providing real estate services to clients in Franklin, Brentwood, Nolensville, Thompsons Station, Spring Hill, Fairview, Leipers Fork, Nashville and the whole Middle TN area.